Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Geny´s baptism; new chapel; gift of the Holy Ghost is real!


Hello family!
Life is wonderful as always and I am very happy here in Santa Cruz do Sul.
Geny´s baptism was so beautiful! A lot of people came to watch, both members from the ward and investigators that we had invited. Geny was so happy!! She was glowing from the minute we went to pick her to drive to the new chapel. We made a beautiful card for people to sign and Sister Ferreira and I spent all morning baking 2 giant chocolate cakes and making strawberry mousse. We got to the church early to help Geny get ready and to take pictures. When Geny came out of the bathroom in the beautiful white dress that she was baptized in, I suddenly felt the Spirit so strongly! Irmã Fransisca, a member of the church and Geny ´s friend for years, walked up to her to give her a hug and as I watched Geny, all in white and with a light on her face, hug her friend I felt like I was seeing a glimpse of what heaven is going to be like. It was a beautiful beautiful day.
Wow…and it was great to have the baptism in the new chapel. It is finally ready and so beautiful. District conference is going to be in November and the chapel will be dedicated shortly before on November 19th. The whole district is excited!!
The only thing that could have gone better would have been to practice with Geny before having her enter the font. I think that she started to get nervous once she was in the water and stiffened like a board…so every time that Diego tried to baptize her she only went part way under the water. Haha…by the 8th or 9th try I started praying super hard that she would really be able to be baptized that day! :) But luckily she was patient and Diego was persistant and I think that it was on the 11th try that she finally went all the way under the water. I think it might have been my favorite baptism that I have seen...it was still every bit as beautiful and spiritual and it was funny at the same time! I think that every one in the room was trying not to laugh :)
But the biggest difference that I saw was on Sunday after Geny´s confirmation. The gift of the Holy Ghost is real! I am always amazed every time I witness the physical change that happens in a person when they receive the Holy Ghost …You can see it in their eyes. It ´s seems they become a new person. I have noticed it with every baptism on my mission, but I don´t think ever as strongly as with Sílvio, when he was baptized in Montenegro and now again with Geny. (Speaking of Sílvio, remember him?? I got a letter from him recently…he is happy and well and preparing to receive the Melchezidek Priesthood and go through the temple! :D That made me so happy!!)
We´ve been traveling to Vera Cruz a lot these days...which has made it hard to accompany our investigators here in Santa Cruz. But I think that it is worth it, because there are a lot of people there that are progressing! kaiuane is preparing for her baptism in a few weeks! She is such an amazing girl…she turns 9 this week and is so smart! She is tall and skinny and beautiful and reminds me a a lot of Megan…just younger :) On Sunday she asked us to come help her memorize the 4th article of faith....and it took her just minutes to memorize it all! Afterwards we talked to her about her baptism and she said that it is something that she has wanted her whole life, but she feels sad that her parents don´t come to church with her. Kaiuane´s parents are both members, but have been inactive for years and she goes to church each week without them with her grandma, Eloísa... She is such a great example to her parents and we told her that and that she was doing exactly what she needs to to help them come back to church someday. Magda and her 8 year old son, Henrique, also get very excited when we talk about baptism. Magda says that she already knows that the church is true and wants to be baptized...the only problem for them is coming to church each Sunday. The chapel in Santa Cruz is far away and it´s hard for them to pay for the bus ride every week.... But she has a lot of faith! When we have faith and make sacrifices, trusting in the Lord that everything will be alright, He always does His part!
Oh, and guess who we found on the streets walking up to use the internet. Gisele from Rio Pardo! She moved here to Santa Cruz two months ago, but lives on the other side of town in the elder´s area. They already have gone to her house a few times, but haven´t been able to visit her much because her husband, Giovane, works all day and she is always the only one at home. I was so happy to see her…I ran across the street when I saw her to give her a hug. And tomorrow she´s going to eat lunch with us in the center so we´ll have more time to talk!
I got the package from all of you on Thursday!!! Thank you thank you so much!! I loved it….especially all of the photos and notes that you wrote. It made me so happy. The peanut butter was amazing too J Thanks for being the best family ever!!!!!
Well, time to go! Happy Halloween for all of you! Send me pictures of the costumes (and yes , Jared, you better be dressing up! It will be your last time in 2 years!) Thanks for everything! I love you all!
Love, Sister Jamie Gee

No comments:

Post a Comment